The Cardinia Outdoor Pools are now open and in full swing, now is the most important time to remind yourself how to safely supervise your child at Cardinia Leisure Facilities. The Watch Around Water Program promotes supervision practices to create safer venues for you and your family to participate in community recreation.
Did you know children have the greatest overall risk of drowning with the highest fatal and non-fatal reported incidents across the past decade? Did you know drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death in children under five years of age and almost half of all injuries recorded at public swimming pools involve children? Whether at the pool, beach, river or friends house – children need supervision.
Your Cardinia Leisure Facilities enforce the following Watch Around Water supervision policies:
- Children over 10 years old:
– Parents must use their knowledge of the child’s swimming ability and general development to determine the level of accompaniment required.
- Children under 10 years old:
– Must be accompanied into the centre by a responsible parent/guardian
– Must be constantly and actively supervised
The parent/guardian must be positioned to have a clear view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them and the child/children.
- Children under 5 years old:
– Must be accompanied into the centre by a responsible parent/guardian.
– Must be constantly and actively supervised during recreational play within arm’s reach.
The Watch Around Water program has been successful in significantly reducing the number of drowning deaths, near-drowning incidents and injuries at public swimming pools. Please keep these policies in mind when visiting Cardinia Leisure Facilities and help keep your child safe.
For more information regarding this initiative visit: