You may have noticed new coloured stickers on food items in our Café…. but do you know what they mean?
The Healthy Choices guidelines are used to promote healthy foods and drinks in retail outlets, vending machines and workplace catering.
The guidelines categorise foods and drinks into three groups. These are:
The GREEN category – best choices
Foods and drinks in the GREEN category are the healthiest choices. They are usually:
- good sources of important nutrients
- lower in saturated fat, added sugar and/or salt
- lower in energy (kilojoules)
- higher in fibre.
GREEN foods and drinks should always be available and they should be promoted as the best choices.
Wherever foods and drinks are offered (e.g. retail outlets, vending machines and catering), at least 50% of choices should be from the GREEN category.
The AMBER category – choose carefully
AMBER foods and drinks should be selected carefully and should only be eaten in moderation. Although AMBER items may provide some good nutrients they can:
- lead you to take in too much energy (kilojoules)
- contain saturated fat, added sugar and/or salt.
- AMBER foods and drinks may be offered, but should not dominate. They should not be promoted over GREEN
The RED category – limit
Foods and drinks in the RED category are not essential. If they are consumed too often, or in large amounts, they can lead to weight gain and chronic diseases.
In general RED choices are:
- high in energy (kilojoules)
- high in saturated fat, added sugar and/or salt
- low in important nutrients such as fibre.
RED foods and drinks should be consumed rarely and only in small amounts. In retail outlets and vending machines, no more than 20% of foods and drinks should be from the RED category.
RED foods and drinks should not be provided in workplace catering.
For more information visit : http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/vic/healthy-eating-advisory-service
Aligned Leisure and Cardinia Shire are committed to offering healthy food options for all customers. If you would like to know more, please speak to one of our friendly staff.