It can take just 66 days to form a habit. For most Australians, this is around how long lockdown lasted & for us here in Cardinia Shire it is happening all over again.
Since COVID-19 started, some of us have reported drinking a bit more than before. While this might just be a few extra drinks, small changes can become harder to shift over time.
Importantly, even small increases in the amount of alcohol you drink can take a toll on your finances, and relationships and have lasting impacts on your physical and mental health.
We know it has been a bit tough lately, but we can take control of our lives again and start forming healthy habits instead. Healthy habits you can create during lockdown that you may not have the time to do in the past include: healthy diet and exercise, healthy sleep pattens, work-life balance, time management & most importantly self-care including relaxation and mindfulness. Creating these healthy habits can help benefit your physical, mental, or emotional well-being. Below is a simple action plan to help you create a healthy habit:
- Decide on a long-term goal, write it down and put it somewhere you will see it every day.
- Create a simple action plan you can follow every day setting small achievable goals.
- Choose a designated time and place that you will complete your action plan. If needed set yourself alarms but most importantly make sure that this is realistic.
- Reward yourself along the way with things you enjoy like a bath with candles, a yummy takeaway dinner or even a virtual catch up with a friend over coffee when you achieve your short-term goals.
- It gets easier with time, and within 10 weeks you should find you are doing it without even thinking.
If you or someone you know may be forming bad habits, the message from the Alcohol and Drug Foundation is simple; we’re all still in this together, and there’s lots of help and support out there to help you kick the habit. Go to littlehabit.com.au for information on how to recognise problem signs around drinking and find out more about what to do to turn your little habit around.